Interested in sharing your thoughts and stories about life in Madison? Learn how to participate in LVN Madison.
How to Get involved
Participate in a Community LVN Conversation
Thank you for your interest in participating in a Local Voices Network Conversation! Our goal is to foster conversation in communities and in the media that improves our understanding of one another. Each conversation takes place around a Digital Hearth, which records the discussion and enables hosts to play speech snippets from other groups in order to share voices and perspectives across community boundaries. The conversations are then transcribed with the goal of offering local community members, media and leaders a new window into the issues important to the community.
Here are a few important details:
- Conversations will include a small group of 4 - 6 participants and one volunteer host. If we have less than six people register, we will reschedule the event.
- Because of the small group size, we request that participants who need to cancel do so at least 48 hours in advance, or as soon as you know you will be unable to participate.
- Again, because of the small group size and the conversation design, it is important to plan to join on time and stay until the end of the conversation. If you join after the conversation is underway, you will be invited to join us for another opportunity.
- Groups and teams are welcome and encouraged to come to a conversation together. Please feel free to sign up with one (or more) people who you know!
- All conversations are recorded by the digital hearth and become a part of the public conversation network on lvn.org.
- Refreshments are provided!
Upcoming Community Conversations
Date: Thursday July 25th, 2019
Time: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Location: Goodman South Library
Gather your own LVN Conversation
Would you like to amplify the voices in your network and connect with your neighbors and friends? Consider signing up to gather people for an LVN Conversation.
This option is ideal for:
- Non-profit organizations who want to amplify the voices of the people that they serve.
- Workplaces that want to offer a different type of team-building opportunity for staff to get to know each other in meaningful ways.
- Groups of friends and family who want to connect with each other in new and different ways. We promise you’ll learn something new about each other!
- Book clubs that want to take a month off reading to talk about their hopes and concerns for their community.
- School or neighborhood groups that want to elevate the unique concerns of parents and residents in their community.
- Faith communities who feel aligned with the LVN mission of fostering healthy public dialogue to improve our understanding of one another.
Your responsibility is to gather 4 - 6 participants and select a convenient time and location. You may opt to provide a meal as well. LVN will provide a facilitator. LVN can also provide a snack pack including coffee, cookies, and snacks if you are not providing a meal.
All LVN conversations are recorded and become a part of the Local Voices Network. To gather your own LVN conversation, please send us a brief message.
Attend an Orientation
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Local Voices Network in Madison! Before attending a Volunteer Orientation, please participate in a conversation. You can do that by joining a community conversation, or by hosting one of your own. See above for upcoming opportunities.
After participating, you are invited to join us for a volunteer orientation. Volunteers and partners will be oriented in how the Digital Hearth works, how the LVN.org conversation platform works, and also walk through the LVN conversation process.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientations
Date: Thursday, August 1st 2019
Time: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Room: Community Room
Food: Dinner will be provided
LVN Madison Background
All residents of the greater Madison area aged 18 and over who are not currently running for office are welcome to participate (we are working on accommodating younger participants in the future). If you are interested in holding a conversation in a language other than English, please contact us.
LVN is a public conversation network. Recordings of conversations will be made available for public access and we expect excerpts of conversations to occasionally be quoted in newspapers, included in radio and television broadcasts, and included in podcasts.
Although we will not collect and publish detailed personal information about LVN participants, similar to calling in to a local talk radio show, participants should understand that their identity could later be recognized by others who were not part of the conversation.